New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the United States. Based on the latest census data, more than Nine million people occupy approximately 8,700 square miles that make up New Jersey. With all those people commuting to work, traveling on vacation, running errands, and much more, it’s not surprising that car accidents are a common occurrence. Vehicle crashes, as well as pedestrian and bicycle accidents, killed more than 600 people in 2016 and injured more than 62,000.
For the victims and their families, life can be forever changed. Serious injuries can affect all aspects of life—from work to hobbies to even simple daily tasks. How are victims supposed to recover? They don’t have to do it alone. My office provides personalized, detailed representation to New Jersey accident victims so they can obtain the care and compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
Types of Personal Injury Cases This New Jersey Attorney Handles
My firm focuses on personal injury practice pertaining to car accident claims. If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a car accident because of a careless driver, you may be eligible to file a claim. I can help with cases related to:
- Car crashes.
- Pedestrian accidents.
- Bicycle accidents.
Can I File a Personal Injury Claim After a New Jersey Car Accident?
A personal injury case is a civil legal action that is brought by one person against another person who has caused some accident or injury. Car accidents commonly lead to personal injury cases when thoughtless drivers cause crashes related to:
- Failure to yield.
- Improper passing.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Distracted driving.
- Failure to respond to road conditions or weather.
When these and other situations arise and cause serious injury, victims have a legal right to file a claim against the responsible party. In New Jersey, the state follows the rules of comparative negligence. This means that injury victims have a right to file a claim and recover compensation as long as the other driver was more than 50 percent at fault. It is true that responsible drivers will likely try to shift some of the blame onto the victim, but it is possible to file a successful claim even if you share a small portion of the blame for the crash.
New Jersey Accident Victims Are Entitled to Compensation for Injuries and More
When another driver fails to live up to his responsibility to behave safely on the road, he can cause costly injuries to others—physically, emotionally, and financially. Injury victims in New Jersey have rights to compensation for:
- Medical bills. All medical bills related to the accident can be covered, including hospital stays, surgery, medication, rehabilitation, follow-up visits, and more.
- Lost wages. Accident victims are frequently forced to miss work due to their injuries, and they may miss out on vital income. This compensation helps them remain financially stable.
- Future lost wages and medical bills. This compensation is particularly important for those who suffer a serious injury that may continue to require care and time off work for some time. It can be difficult to calculate, but an experienced attorney can help determine and fight for what is fair.
- Pain and suffering. Many states limit how much accident victims can be awarded for the non-economic damages (physical pain, anxiety, depression, loss of sleep, etc.) they suffer in an accident. New Jersey, however, does not set any limits in this area.
- Punitive damages. This compensation is much rarer and is meant to act as a punishment when a person acts particularly negligently. There is a limit to the amount of punitive damages that can be awarded in New Jersey.
Every case is unique, and the facts of your case will determine the types of compensation that can be recovered. An experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and pursue the maximum amount of compensation, so you can move forward from this difficult time with confidence.
Get Help From a Dedicated Wayne Personal Injury Attorney
The time after a car accident can be overwhelming. While facing the physical and emotional stress of your injuries, it can be difficult to consider a legal case. But insurance companies know this, and they will attempt to take advantage of victims by pressuring them to settle quickly for less than they deserve. I am here to help car accident victims through every step of the legal process. I'll work effectively with the other side or take a case all the way to trial when necessary, to ensure that New Jersey injury victims obtain the best possible outcome.
Even if you aren’t sure if you have a case or how an attorney can help, call me in my Wayne office or send me a message at [email protected].